Monday, June 20, 2016

Can You Teach an Ol' Dog New Tricks?




via GIPHY

          During the revision of this autobiographical media project, the video content was changed in order to alter the way the ideas were conveyed to the audience. As a novice producing my first video, I believed that making good-quality digital media was as simple as sitting down in front of the web camera and speaking a few truths about myself.  It never occurred to me that the process of creating a digital project was actually a craft.


After reviewing my first introduction video submission, I realized that it certainly was in need of revising and rewriting. I had all the wrong things in all the right places during the filming.  The lighting was poor, video grainy, and background noisy. It was also boring with me sitting center in the shot. I, myself, was trying to avoid looking at the computer screen during the entire filming as I was afraid I would faint and fall over if I did.  This definitely would not have been a good camera angle shot with me having an episode of syncope on the dining room floor! Therefore, I chose to start over from scratch.



 So, after deciding the platform I wanted to use, I sat down and reviewed the text written by Hicks (2013). By turning to digital writing experts for advice, I developed a plan about the types of elements that I would incorporate into my new introduction video. By integrating the mode, media, audience, purpose, and situation (MAPS) ideas into this autobiography and because I tend not to take myself too seriously, I decided to use PowToon as my web-based animation platform. I purposefully chose PowToon as it allowed me to convey some facets of my personality along with situational humor.  In addition, PowToon was a flexible and interesting way to present my information- not to mention my reluctance to be on camera. With that in mind, the focus for my new video was to introduce myself in an interesting way and enhance the ideas that I already had with some expertise intervention.


During the last school year, our Technology Facilitator kept asking me to try PowToon with my students. Yet, it was not until I saw it posted in a class collaboration document that I really considered it. PowToon seems to have endless possibilities for students to experiment with and create content. Using PowToon, my students can take conscious and deliberate control over their digital writing process in an interesting and fun way. In his book, Hicks (2013) reminds us that we can offer our students a broad range of choices(p. 23). PowToon will be another technological tool that I will present to my students for the enhancement of their writing projects. 

According to Kessler, Bikowski, and Boggs (2012), technology has influenced the writing process and practices in many ways” (p. 92). Computer and technology skills are valuable tools for student writers. However, they must learn to plan, evaluate and regulate their thinking in order to construct meaning. Revision is the key to great digital writing and it must be practiced. This is my second attempt at this project and there are still things that I would like to change. Throughout my journey to revise this digital writing piece, I wanted to clarify and refine my introductory video. Moreover, my goal was to make changes that would communicate my story more effectively.


References

Hicks, T. (2013). Author’s craft, genre study, and digital writing. In T. Antao (Ed.), Crafting digital writing: Composing texts across media and genres. (pp. 11-27). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.


Kessler, G., Bikowski, D., & Boggs, J. (2012). Collaborative writing among second language learners in academic web-based projects. Language Learning & Technology, (16)1, pp. 91-109. Retrieved from http://llt.msu.edu/issues/february2012/kesslerbikowskiboggs.pdf



2 comments:

  1. Your gif, writing and video are all so awesome! I love that you wrote about your feelings when making the first video because I felt the exact same way. You accomplished integration of Hicks (2013) suggestions for successful presentations and videos: You told a story, used strong visuals, kept it simple, and appealed emotionally to your audience.

    I agree with your point about the importance of revision, and I felt exactly the same way. I felt that I had revised extensively, but after viewing my final product still wanted to go back and make additional changes. When I think of revision, I think of editing writing-- with a pen. I think of peer evaluations and reviews; I don’t necessarily think of the tenets of editing outlined by Hicks which include such aspects as: “adjusting timing and transitions,” “recording one’s own voice,” and even “importing media into a movie-making program or website” (p. 114). When I have used Movie Maker and Adobe Premier in the past, I didn’t think that I was actually writing, but I realize that I was actually using my knowledge of the writing process extensively. Having students create videos not only engages them in the practice of writing, it also takes this practice to the next level and moves them to the ultimate goal of publication. The concept of videos as writing is definitely something that is shifting my paradigm regarding the changes in writing due to digital media.

    Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting digital writing: Composing texts across media
    and genres. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all decided to recreate our introduction videos. And I think we still feel like we could have done better.
    Revision is the key to a great video or presentation. I found myself struggling with what to decide to add to my video. I had read in Hicks (2013) that “the most difficult part of creating a video/multimedia text- is knowing what to put in and what to leave out” (p. 110). I have a tendency to ramble and I had trouble figuring out what was important in an introduction and what was not. I had to revise much of my video (and reshoot) to create a decent piece.
    Great job! I love the video and your blog.
    Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting digital writing- composing texts across media and genres. Portland, NH. Heinemann.

    ReplyDelete